Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Winter Waltz

New poem I wrote up a short while ago. Definitely not my best piece, but I submitted a bunch to Stillwater, so I'd like them to get first publishing rights.


"Winter Waltz", an epic of personal conquest I crafted on a cold evening's walk
by Danny Gessner

The fields are locked,
they’ve chained the gates,
it doesn’t really feel right for play.
Things have changed,
the cars all go past,
although when i’m in them,
I’d prefer they go fast.
It makes more sense to live here now,
living in the winter's howl.
I don’t think less of the noise that pervades,
so much as the silence invades.

This is not my best poem of thought and time.
Rather, just some old silly rhyme
that i’ll bumble from time to time
and when i need to, make it rhyme.
The lamps grow wan,
disappear for eternity,
inducted into a dreamy fraternity.
I follow them along a path
maybe only God herself could have.
The towers loom, and horizons don’t get flatter
i march, and then again,
see myself in a reflection of hope and prayer.
Pray once again and I will.



Let me know what you think about it. I haven't even attempted rhyme in such a long time it feels so weird to work with all these slants.

No comments:

Post a Comment